Re: FireFox 3 EULA

Steve Hill wrote:
<<-- snip -->>
> Nope.  No one is stopping you doing anything you want with your system.
>
> On the other hand, if you have a system that requires you to agree to
> all sorts of EULAs in order to use it, then someone _is_ stopping you
> from doing some things you might want to do.
>
> Please can you explain how this is different from Fedora not bundling
> other proprietary software as standard?  Or would you like to see Fedora
> ship with Flash, binary drivers and all sorts of other non-Free stuff?
>
> One of the main reasons for me (and many other people) using Fedora is
> that I know I'm not going to have to deal with proprietary software
> except in situations where I explicitly choose to install it (for
> example, I have 2 systems running the nVidia binary drivers - it isn't a
> situation I like, but I prefer to install the drivers myself so I _know_
> what proprietary stuff I have installed, after making an informed
> decision about whether I want it, rather than have the distribution
> quietly do it for me).
>
>  - Steve

This is all probably a pre-cursor to Fedora removing firefox from the
package list.

The EULA that Mozilla is presenting is stating they will be using 3-rd
party applications and plugins that may not be open-source to add
support for some security and other related features.  These plugins
would be automatically installed and or updated at anytime by the
application without direct user intervention (which is why they present
this notice to the user).

As far as the use or installation of non-freeware applications.  Fedora
is not banning the single user from installing these applications, but
is only taking the position that the sole user will be responsible for
maintaining and updating the package themselves.
This is were the 3-rd party repos come into play.  Many repos offer
non-freeware application to be installed and maintained by other
packagers.  Fedora only offers these repos as being available to the
user; however, this availability should not be considered an endorsement
of any packages offered at the repo.  That is up to the user of the
system to decide.

James Kosin