Re: FireFox 3 EULA

On Mon, 15 Sep 2008, Timothy Murphy wrote:

If you don't want to use Firefox because of some religious objection,
that's fine by me.
But if you are trying to stop me using Firefox,
or make it more difficult for me,
my reaction would be very different.

Fedora already "stops" you using all sorts of non-Free stuff (i.e. the non-free stuff isn't packaged in the standard repository - you have to go and install it from elsewhere yourself). For example, you don't get the nVidia binary drivers in the standard distro.

My understanding was that Fedora stood for complete freedom, and that was the reason for not packaging non-Free software. If you want easy access to non-Free packages then maybe Fedora isn't the right distribution for you.

You seem to me to be inventing a problem that does not exist.

No, I really does exist - I don't want to have to go hire a lawyer every time I install a new piece of software because it decided to pop up a licence agreement. Free software is built on the foundation that the end user is not restricted in what they can do with the software - if you allow each piece of software to place a restriction on the end user, how are we better than proprietary software?

 - Steve
   xmpp:steve@xxxxxxxxxxx   sip:steve@xxxxxxxxxxx   http://www.nexusuk.org/