Re: more update non-optimals

On Sep 15, 2008, at 2:34 AM, Joel Rees wrote:

My AMD box in the other room updated just fine.

yum clean
yum check-update
yum update
yum update
[a little running back and forth between an X11 unprivileged session looking at the keys and a wheel user console session importing and fingerprinting]
shutdown -r now
[seems to be running as well as it was, haven't figured out the new input method for Japanese yet, PS-2 mouse is still erratic]

Well, now I have to take that back. Booted up the AMD box just to check, ran some things like

yum info yum
yum check-update

just to see, and it seemed to return too quickly and quietly.

yum search haegis

yielded no response at all, and then

yum search aegis

sent it into a very tight endless loop of some sort, would not even toggle the capslock indicator on the keyboard.

However, after killing the power and booting back up (did I make sure it did the fsck? erk.) I did a yum clean and tried it out again, and it seems to be behaving itself.

Guess I have to go back and read the threads on broken yum.

My iBook G4 went through the first update, and right at the end of the last cleanup transaction (PackageKit), gave me a traceback. Something about (copied by hand, to practice my touch-typing ;)

-----------------------------
dbus.connection:Unable to set arguments () according to signature u's': <type 'exceptions.TypeError'>: More items found in D-Bus signature than in Python arguments
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/yum", line 29, in <module>
    yummain.user_main(sys.argv[1:], exit_code=True)
  File "/usr/share/yum-cli/yummain.py", line 241 in user_main
    errcode = main(args)
  File "/usr/share/yum-cli/yummain.py", line 193, in main
    base.doTransaction()
  File "/usr/share/yum-cli/cli.py", line 432 in doTransaction
    self.runTransaction(cb=cb)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/__init__.py", line 790, in runTransaction
    self.plugins.run('posttrans')
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/plugins.py", line 175, in run
    func(conduitcls(self, self.base, conf, **kwargs))
File "/usr/lib/yum-plugins/refresh-packagekit.py", line 37, in posttrans_hook
    packagekit_iface.StateHasChanged('posttrans')
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/dbus/proxies.py", line 68, in __call__
    return self._proxy_method(*args, **keywords)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/dbus/proxies.py", line 140, in __call__
    **keywords)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/dbus/connection.py", line 597, in call_blocking
    message.append(signature=signature, *args)
TypeError: More items found in D-Bus signature than in Python arguments

I think I got that right.

I checked the new keys and they are in place in /etc/pki/rpm-gpg .

Anyone else seen this? Is it worth a bug report?

What's the usual thing to do next? keep yumming?

Is there a yum command to check yum's internal consistency?

Joel Rees, Monday morning, 3 am, planning on being off-list and off- line for a few hours