Re: KDE-4.1: increasing panel height

Florian Sievert wrote:

>> I can't find the setting to choose between Small, Normal and Large
>> panel size, that used to be in KDE-4.
>> Has it disappeared, or have I just missed it?
>> My panel is rather small in height, which was the default before.
>>
> The way of doing it has changed since 4.0.x. It is solved much better in
> 4.2 trunk, however the feature does exist, even if it is quite well
> hidden. First get sure that you unlocked widgets. Either click on the
> cashew of the panel or select "panel settings" from the context menu. A
> new bar appears next to the panel. If you select the border of this
> panel, you can select the size that the panel should have. If you click
> on the bar, you can drag it into another screen edge. Hope this helps.

Unfortunately, following your advice (probably wrongly)
has had a disastrous effect.
My panel has disappeared completely,
including the F start icon.
The only way I can run any application (like knode)
is to right-click on the empty screen and choose "Give command".

How can I get my panel back?
Clicking on "Add panel" has no noticeable effect.

I tried mv-ing .kde to .kde.bak and re-starting X.
This worked, but would mean I have to re-set all my settings,
which would be too boring.
It is easier to do without the panel.

If I knew which file in .kde/share/configs/ actually deals with the panel
I could probably fix it.

Sorry, but my experience with KDE-4.1 has been very bad, to date.
My impression is that the KDE team have become much too clever,
and have forgotten that simplicity is often the best way.

In any case, does anyone know where I can find my panel, please?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net