Reasons behind defaulting atd and sendmail

Are there any legitimate reasons why the "atd" and "sendmail" services are enabled by default? A "default" install is for a desktop and they are quite useless in that regard.

Sendmail only stores the logwatch output, which actually accumulates after a period of time because no normal desktop user reads the mail. It could possibly fill up a hard drive on a small drive, such as a eeePC 4gb system. I realize we all have terrabyte hard drives now and logwatch is only kilobytes in size, but it's still garbage. Don't get me wrong, I use logwatch mail on Fedora server installs, but for a desktop user... who never reads it...

As for 'at' well... do *normal* Fedora users have any benefit from this starting up? I realize there is a gnome-schedule utility, but it is not installed by default.

I'm not trying to start a flamewar. I am just curious.

Thanks,
Michael