Re: Ello, I'm sort of new to the lists...is it best to install from livecd?

On Tue, 2008-09-02 at 12:34 -0400, Travis Arnold wrote:
> Is there a way I can not have evolution installed?

Yes, but removing it will also remove a few other things.  But then
maybe you don't want them either.  Here, removing evolution will remove
just evolution and its help files.  There are a few other evolution
related things (evolution-webcal and evolution-data-server on mine) that
appear to be independent of the main package.

>  or is it actually good? It seems sort of slow, but since I
> don't usually run it all day- or should I?

Over the years I've tried dozens of mail clients, just about all of them
have some features/bugbears that make you want to hurl bricks at the
programmers.  At the moment, I find it the most tolerable client.

I don't run mine all day, just when I want to read mail.  Since I have
mail trickling in all day long, I'd need to use something else to alert
me to mail needing my attention, separately from all the stuff that can
wait.  I've never bothered to find something to do that, but there are a
variety of mail alert programs around.  Some will just do the "you have
some mail" alert, and either open your mail program, or leave it for you
to do that.  Others are more featured.

> Would it be best to open Evolution or Thunderbird in the morning when
> I turn my computer on, and then leave it running all day and just move
> it to another desktop or is closing it and reopening it better?

What's best depends on your needs and wants.  Do you want to spend all
day staring at the computer, waiting for mail, answering it as it comes
in?  Do you want to just check on mail every now and then?  I do mine in
my spare time, generally.

Try a few mail programs, write emails to your self, reply to them (that
saves you from annoying other people while you test).  See how it
handles threading, quoting, editing, address books, etc.  That's about
the only way that you're going to figure out what program you prefer.

> I have turned html off (did I do it properly?) sorry about that, does
> the signature come out?

You appear to be sending plain text just fine, I don't see any signature
other than you finishing your message with your name.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.14-108.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.