Re: Ello, I'm sort of new to the lists...is it best to install from livecd?

Thomas Cameron wrote:
> Travis Arnold wrote:
>> Erm I've been using ubuntu recently but would like to use fedora, but am
>> not sure how to install, is it best to use live cd, or the dvd install
>> medium?
>
> Either one should work, the DVD route is nice because all of the
> packages are right there.  LiveCD can require that you install a lot
> of stuff over your Internet connection.
>
>> Also how can I have a seperate home directory? the LVM section
>> in the partitioning menu scared me off, I still have the live cd
>> downloaded, but not the dvd, shall I just download that instead?
>
> You'll be faced with the same choices via LiveCD install or DVD
> install.  LVM is just a way of carving up your partitions into logical
> volumes (think sub-partitions, sort of).
>
> Me personally, I don't really use LVM that much, I just create the
> first partition of 100 megs mounted on /boot, a second partition of
> about a gig mounted as swap, a third and partition of 8GB mounted as /
> and a fourth large-ish partition mounted as /home.
>
> This is not the One True Partitioning Scheme by any stretch.  This is
> only what I like to do on my workstation.  For a server that is almost
> definitely not a good partitioning scheme.
>
> Thomas

Ok, so I don't even have to use LVM?  That is so nice to know.  I've
looked around on Fedorasolved and I see the article about moving /home
but is there another write up possibly dealing with how to instal
l with out LVM?  the interface doesn't(to me at least) seem quite as
intuitive if one doesn't want to go with the defualt sheme.

Thanks again Thomas for the help.

Travis