Re: Where the h%^&^%$#! is KDE 4.1 ? Part III

On Tue, 2008-09-02 at 22:34 +0000, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan <at> gmail.com> writes:
> > Or: yum --enablerepo=updates-testing groupupdate KDE
>
> And that groupupdate will miss some packages which should also be updated. (I
> know, I've done it myself. I had to use yum shell and manually update some
> additional packages which weren't caught by the groupupdate.) kde* will also
> miss some stuff, e.g. konq-plugins.

I can only say that I've had zero problems of this nature since I did
the above a month ago. The whole update went without a hitch. Maybe I'm
just lucky.

If groupupdate misses some stuff, are there plans to fix it so it
doesn't?

> Moreover, the packages currently in updates-testing are missing the latest
> fixes (for the same reason the update isn't stable yet), so unless you're
> prepared to pick those from Koji, you'd better just wait for the update to be
> pushed to stable (with those fixes, which are already in the queued update).

True. I haven't seen anything new since around August 8.

> You'll also end up with the GStreamer Phonon backend only if you update from
> testing now unless you manually force phonon-backend-xine, and that GStreamer
> backend has problems with device selection which could cause problems with
> PulseAudio. In the update queued for stable, we have:
> * made phonon-backend-gstreamer the longer name again, so yum prefers
> phonon-backend-xine if you're upgrading from 4.0,
> * fixed some regressions in PulseAudio support in the Xine backend (requires
> updated phonon, phonon-backend-xine and kdebase-runtime).

Good to know. However my own experience has been that previous to
updating from updates-testing I had a buggy KDE and now I have a
considerably less buggy one, so it's been a net gain for me.

poc