Re: Where the h%^&^%$#! is KDE 4.1 ? Part III

Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan <at> gmail.com> writes:
> Or: yum --enablerepo=updates-testing groupupdate KDE

And that groupupdate will miss some packages which should also be updated. (I
know, I've done it myself. I had to use yum shell and manually update some
additional packages which weren't caught by the groupupdate.) kde* will also
miss some stuff, e.g. konq-plugins.

Moreover, the packages currently in updates-testing are missing the latest
fixes (for the same reason the update isn't stable yet), so unless you're
prepared to pick those from Koji, you'd better just wait for the update to be
pushed to stable (with those fixes, which are already in the queued update).

You'll also end up with the GStreamer Phonon backend only if you update from
testing now unless you manually force phonon-backend-xine, and that GStreamer
backend has problems with device selection which could cause problems with
PulseAudio. In the update queued for stable, we have:
* made phonon-backend-gstreamer the longer name again, so yum prefers
phonon-backend-xine if you're upgrading from 4.0,
* fixed some regressions in PulseAudio support in the Xine backend (requires
updated phonon, phonon-backend-xine and kdebase-runtime).

        Kevin Kofler