Re: Gnome Terminal and Session management Query

Richard England wrote:
Dan Track wrote:
On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 3:00 PM, Dan Track <dan.track@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 5:14 PM, Dan Track <dan.track@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi

I've got fedora 9 installed and I'd like it to store sessions for all
my routers,switches, firewalls, servers etc just like putty and
securecrt do. How can I manage that in a sensible way, I've got nearly
a 100 different devices so a long list wouldn't be ideal, something
like creating folders e.g network, linux and then storing the sessions
in there would be good.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Dan
Hey Guys,

Can anyone give any thoughts on this? I just need to save profiles in
a logical way!

Thanks
Dan

Hi

Guess no one has this type of problem. I'm curious how do you guys
then manage all your servers and network devices? Do you memorise the
hostnames or ip addresses and ssh or telnet in every time you need log
in?

Is there something fundamental I'm missing?

Dan

I add a "Drawer" to my desk top tool bar. That drawer contains a set of "Custom Application Launcher" entries that run in a Terminal and execute the command "ssh -Y -l <login name>@<hostname>" . My login on each host contains the .profile/.kshrc/ etc files that define all the environment settings I need. I create custom Icons for the Drawer items that consist of the name of the system.

HTH

~~R

Yeah, well, that command line was pretty much wrong. You shouldn't use the -l option if you use "<login name>@<hostname>". Sorry.

~~R