Re: "Permission denied" error for root user when perms are 0775?

From: Stuart Sears <stuart@xxxxxxxxxxx>
[ edited for relevance ]
> > Thanks to both of you. Good pointers.
> > The drive is a partition on the same spindle, mounted '-t ext3 /dev/sda5
> > /keep', BUT /etc/fstab has the partition as 'users,defaults'...so it IS
> > possible that 'defaults' = 'noexec'...easily tested: thank you.

nope, it's not 'defaults', it's 'users':
from the mount manpage:

users - Allow every user to mount and unmount the file system. This
option implies the options noexec, nosuid, and nodev (unless overridden
by subsequent options, as in the option line users,exec,dev,suid).

IIRC 'user' has the same problems.
Regards,
Stuart

Thank you, that is the likely answer. 'Defaults' allows 'exec', but you have to read further down in the options to see that 'user' or 'users' implies 'noexec'.

Thank you, thank you. Easy to test/check and I now think that could be the actual problem.....And the fedora recovery environment uses a different set of defaults, which would explain why I could run the configure script at /mnt/sysimage/keep/mythtv, but NOT as root at /keep/mythtv.

What it does NOT explain, however, is why I could not run the script EVEN THOUGH I WAS ROOT!. It would explain the failure of my attempts as user mythtv. But it does *feel* like progress. (Since if this is correct, I should be able to run the script as a user, using sudo...)

Fingers crossed.

Geoff