Re: pulseaudio, howto make it work?

Tim wrote:

> I've had mixed results with pulseaudio.  I have wondered if we can
> totally rip it out, or if it's become another one of those "required"
> things.

What I find completely baffling about pulseaudio
is that in my case it doesn't seem to make the slightest difference
whether it is working or not.

Some days what I boot I get the message that pulseaudio is not working,
and sound is reverting to something else.
Other days like today I get no such message
and pulseaudio (-D) is running fine.

But sound works for my modest needs just as well,
and in exactly the same way as far as I can tell,
whether pulseaudio is working or not.

What exactly is pulseaudio meant to give someone like me,
who is only interested in the most basic aspects of computer sound?
The furthest my ambitions would ever reach
would be to plug headphones into my laptop and listen to Bob Dylan.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366