pulseaudio, howto make it work?

Greetings;

Because many of you said to use it, it worked just fine, I re-installed it all
and I haven't had any noise from anything but kmail and maybe kino since
then, kino audio seemingly depending on the phase of the moon, day of thew
week and possibly multiplied by the age of the raccoon I last killed, now
many years ago.

Anyway, I'm like the other guy who said all he wants to do is play some
fscking sound.  Looking up the various pieces in yumex to see what there
might be for configuration helpers, I try several pieces but they return 0
output, and all seem to be killable with a ctl-c.

Until I get to padmin, now there is a real Super Informative Name.

padmin displays, on the server tab, a whole menu of alsa stuff, every one of
which points into the nvidia chipsets builtin ac97 audio on this motgher
board, and absolutely zero reference is made to the the SBO-400 Audigy 2 card
that I actually use as the main sound system here, with the nvidia thingy
being relegated for skype etc usage.

Now, many moons ago, I spent considerable time on this list arriving at
an /etc/modprobe.conf stanza that made it all work the way I wanted it to
work.  It looks like this:
-------------------------
alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
options snd-card-0 index=0
options snd-emu10k1 index=0
alias snd-card-1 snd-intel8x0
options snd-card-1 index=1
options snd-intel8x0 index=1
alias snd-card-2 snd-mpu401
options snd-card-2 index=2
options snd-mpu401 index=2
--------------------------

And if I can get enough of it killed and uninstalled, it will still work as I
have done exactly that once before.

The pulseaudio wiki/web page has zero info on how to do this unless my speed
reading is skipping over it somehow, but I've now been over it 5 or 6 times
without anything raising its hand asking to go wiwi.

If it would help, I can snapshot and post the various screens padmin shows.
Whoever wrote that gui seems to have left out the ability to clipboard the
contents. 500 lashes with a wet noodle are in order for that omission.

Also, I get the impression this is an administration program, in which case I
ought to be able to edit some of this, multiple choices based on the
available hardware would be nice, but as near as I can tell, nothing is
editable, so whyinhell call it an admin program when it can't?  Good question
that..

So how do I go about making pulseaudio work like I want it to work?

URL's for answers is fine, but the pulseaudio web page I was pointed at before
is effectively all advertising, and about as useful as those appendages on
the belly of a boar hog.

:(

--
Cheers, Gene