Re: pulseaudio, howto make it work?

On Sun, 2008-08-24 at 01:21 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Saturday 23 August 2008, Craig White wrote:

> >> And is yet another list I have to subscribe to before I can post.  I 99%
> >> solved the problem with the removal of it.
> >>
> >> To add insult to injury, there isn't even a search function to check the
> >> archives of the list!  Good grief.
> >>
> >> I saved the bookmark, but I'm not sure why.
> >
> >----
> >except that there was no injury...just your own failure to make it work
> >for you.
> >
> >I would suggest that you are rather heavy handed on usage/setup of your
> >system which as you know is one of the luxuries of Linux in that you can
> >do things your way and in so many different ways.
> >
> >The simple fact is that pulseaudio like LVM and other things are not for
> >everyone but you can function without it.
> >
> >I do detect a pattern though...it's the same one that had you giving up
> >on NFS and using samba for filesharing because you couldn't make NFS
> >work.
>
> And now, even samba seems to have failed, with ubuntu apparently using an
> incompatible version.  I was backing up the kubuntu's machines /home
> directory with amanda, but I never got around to rebuilding the amanda client
> after finding the hard way that that particular machine apparently cannot
> tolerate 2 pata hard drives, it seemed to like to trash the filesystems on
> both in a week, but with just one drive it runs for years.
>
> I did have nfs running between them, for about a week, but local weather
> created a power failure that outlasted both UPS's, and that hasn't worked
> since the reboots.  And typical of nfs when it fails, no error msg, it just
> doesn't mount.
>
> I also just tried to make rsync connect, and the lack of a root account on the
> kubuntu machine causes a password fail. su'ing to the user who would do that
> and I get a scrambled, invalid path returned as incapable of being accessed.
> That I can probably figure out given time, I did do that for the backup for a
> couple of years.  Other than losing some gcode I've written, and the configs
> for those drives, that machine is re-installable from scratch to a working
> milling machine in about an hour.
>
> >I would like to state for the record that like Rex, I have many, many
> >systems running with pulseaudio and no problems.
> >
> >Craig
>
> And how many of those involve using the motherboard, a generally simple audio
> system for something like skype, and a real audio card (if indeed one can
> call an Audigy2 Value (SBO400, driven by emu10k1) a real audio card, but at
> least it is not a winmodem) for all other system sound duties, each to be
> totally isolated from the other?
>
> If you do have such a setup, please share how you did it.  Show *me* the .conf
> files that achieve that.  Examples are worth 10k words (inflation) you know.

I've seen ALOT of users that are having problems with "pulseaudio".  You
are definitely not in the minority here; aamof if he has it working then
he's in the minority.

I've heard this "youre in the minority cause you haven't got it working"
bs for years; it's a cliche.  It's old.  And translated means basically,
"stop complaining....Join the GNU cult or die".

> --
> Cheers, Gene
> -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
> Libtool shared library portability is only slightly more believable than
> perpetual motion machines.  Especially on AIX :)."
>         -- David Leimbach

LX