Re: Intel 82541GI NIC comes up at 10mbps on one port

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
Sam Varshavchik wrote:
Mikkel L. Ellertson writes:

Try using ethtoolto lock the port to 100 Mbs Full Duplex. It is
probably that the two do not handshake correctly to set the faster
speed. If I remember correctly, that was one of the things that the
exact protocol was not specified, so not all hardware works correctly.
I should've mentioned that I tried that too. By itself "speed 100" has
no effect, and the link still comes up auto-negotiated at 10mbps.

If I use "speed 100 autoneg off" the '100mbps' LED indicator on the
router does come on, but the NIC is completely dead and does not respond
to pings. Adding an explicit "duplex half" or "duplex full" to the mix
makes no difference. I've also tried unplugging and plugging the cable
after forcing the speed to 100. The router itself, as I mentioned, has
no configurable knobs, just the ports and nothing else. I'm guessing
that even after forcing the speed to 100mbps, the router wants to
negotiate something.

Sorting through the documentation for e1000.ko, there's a module option
to limit advertised link speeds to 100 mbps only, that is,
auto-negotiation remains on but the card won't advertise 10 mbps speed.
After enabling that option, the port does not come up at all.

Well, there goes the simple fix.

I would not expect "configuration knobs" on the router. There should
be configuration web pages when you open the routers address in a
web browser. http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.1.1 is the default
address, if I remember right. It is in the router manual. But it
probably does not have anything to help you with your problem.

Mikkel

In the past having one side negotiating and not the other got
generally bad results (usually 10-half duplex was the default
if negotiating failed, no matter what the other side was forced
to-and things worked really really bad).

On my linksys router (with the add-on linux DD-WRT software) I
can set each port to autoneg/100/FD, so it may be possible on
a standard router with the standard linksys router software.

                       Roger