Re: network vs NetworkManger services ??

On Sat, 2008-08-16 at 14:40 -0400, William Case wrote:
> I will see if I can get help with NetworkManager on the
> networkmanager-list@xxxxxxxxx , but meanwhile, so as to avoid asking
> really stupid questions in more than one place.  Is the 'network'
> service supposed to be running while the NetworkManager service is on?

There is no such thing as *the* 'network' service (in the sense I think
you mean). People on this list are using Network vs. NM as a shorthand
for two ways of configuring the various network components, some of
which are in the kernel and some in user space. Specifically when they
say Network in this context they mean the set of scripts invoked via the
system-config-network command.

> Is it compiled into the kernel?  I thought it was a module?  Are those
> questions even relevant?

The TCP/IP network protocol stack is wired into the kernel. Various
device drivers may be wired in or loadable as modules. Other bits such
as DHCP service run in user space.

> ps aux shows NetworkManager but no 'network' or friends.

Because it's not a single process.

poc