Re: F8(1) vs multimedia production(0)

> >> Here like I have mentioned in the same thread.  A
> Fedora spin without (all
> >> the free stuff(non patent encumbered ) that is
> provided by default)
> >
> >would make sense and would free Fedora/Red Hat from
> litigation and would
> >make it easier to include the stuff that will make
> media players play
> >everything under the sun and will not get in the way
> when buiding these
> >apps.
> >
> >It won't make sense for Fedora to not include
> support for the non-patent
> >encumbered codecs since one of the primary objectives
> of Fedora is to
> >enable and support free and open source software.
> Besides multimedia
> >frameworks like gstreamer is a dependency of many many
> apps and
> >excluding them all is not feasible. Normally users who
> want additional
> >components would just grab those from a third party
> repo. If you are
> >compiling from source, that's a smaller nice of
> users and you are very
> >well equipped to remove whatever you don't want.
> Again, if you disagree
> >and think your goal will help end users, feel free to
> build a Fedora
> >spin exactly the way you want. The tools that we used
> to build Fedora
> >are all available as part of Fedora.
> >
> >> It is not a bad thing Rahul. I have mplayer and
> gecko-media player built
> >> from source and I am doing fine.  I am not
> complaining.
> >
> >It would make sense to not have to ship crippled
> players *unless the
> >users want those only**
> >
> >Gstreamer has a plugin model and we don't include
> some of the plugins.
> >This process doesn't require actively crippling
> anything.
> >
> >Rahul
>
> Then why, after installing about 10 or 12 packages all
> purported to be
> gstreamer related, can I not make it run & do
> something?  I doesn't even show
> up in the kde menu's.
>
> Seems like a good question to me anyway.  Based on the
> hoopla here over the
> last 2 days, I've installed all the pulseaudio stuffs
> yum can find, and all
> the gstreamer stuffs that yum can find.
>
> The end result for pulseaudio has already been posted in
> this thread, and
> absolutely zip of gstreamer or gst as it seems to be called
> in some corners
> of the ring, and nothing of those packages can be executed.
>  Do they
> conflict?  If so, why is there absolutely zip about either
> in the logs?
>
> --
> Cheers, Gene
> "There are four boxes to be used in defense of
> liberty:
>  soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that
> [...]

There are several gstreamer plugins:

http://www.gnome.org/projects/totem/

Codecs

Totem can display a variety of formats, based on what backend you use. To see what backend you are using check the "About" dialog of Totem.
GStreamer

When using the GStreamer backend, you can install multiple plugin packages. You can install them the same way as you would install totem. Some information about the gstreamer-plugins packages can be found here.
gst-plugins-base
the basic and essential plug-ins for GStreamer
gst-plugins-good
the plug-ins for most Open formats
gst-plugins-ugly
good-quality plug-ins that might pose distribution problems, needed for DVD playback
gst-plugins-bad
a set of plug-ins that need more work, needed for YouTube videos
gst-ffmpeg
FFmpeg-based plug-in, contains all the basic decoders for popular codecs, such as DivX and WMV
Pitfdll
Plug-ins using the Windows codec DLLs for which no free software implementation exists yet.
xine-lib

Everything's included in this version, apart from some proprietary codecs that require Windows DLLs. Check the FAQ on xine-lib's website. That should sort most of you out.

And there's the xine part.  To use that one, we can install totem-xine, if not it falls back on gstreamer plugins.

I have sucessfully installed the latest xine-lib-1.1.15 from xine.de page.  I have made it work.  Onto VLC which I will try again one of these days.

Hope you succeed building new kino Gene!  Don't give up.  I'll cheer for you :)

Regards,

Antonio