Re: printer advice

Seann Clark wrote:
Gene Heskett wrote:
On Thursday 14 August 2008, François Patte wrote:
Bonjour,

I need a printer and I found two laser printers available where I am
living now:

Brother HL-2032
Samsung ML-1630/SEE

I cannot testify about the samsung, but Brother has what I would call excellent linux support, but you will need to get the correct set of ppd files from their web page. If this printer isn't there, there is an email link to their support on the web page, and my query regarding an HL-2140 I had just bought was answered quickly, competently and courteously, pointing me at the correct file to download. Self extracting, it installed itself in the proper location to be found by a restart of the cupsd daemon. Then it was a simple matter of adding another printer profile at http://localhost:631.

HTH.
I have just this week set up a Samsung on Fedora 9 with little problem. It wasn't the ML-1630 but it was a CLP-610ND, and for CUPS to play with it, I just needed to grab the ppd and rastertosamsungsplc to the appropriate directories on my system and everything worked wonderfully. Now getting it to work right in Samba... well that was a different story (I don't know Samba well, so it was interesting to get it to play well with my systems that don't speak CUPS natively.) but support is pretty good on that. Using Samsung, the 'install' program they provide can really hose a linux system though. (NewEgg review was the source of this knowledge, and I didn't even attempt the installer from Samsung)

I set up a Samsung CLP-510 laser under FC5 using Samsung's supplied lpr-ng driver. Worked just fine with cups. Its even survived that machines upgrade to F8.

Samsung now has a UnifiedLinuxDriver for their printers. The last time I noticed it, it was: 20070720172411796_UnifiedLinuxDriver.tar.gz It may have been updated since then. I have *not* installed it since my previous setup continues to work just fine for me.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxx