Re: x server nvidia driver problem

Dave Burns wrote:
On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 9:07 PM, Ken Gullaksen <krg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm having trouble getting the nvidia driver to run. X server locks up
on boot. This seems to be a known issue.
A post on nvnews:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=102335 mentions that
1.4.99 is not supported, and will not be supported until release of 1.5.

Is this correct? And if so, when will x server 1.5 be available through yum?

You give no details, so hard to know, but maybe your kernel doesn't
have a matching kmod-nvidia? Livna is not up-to-date with the latest
kernels. If so, booting an older kernel will solve your problem.
Dave

The issue is due to the X server version, and not the kernel or kmod. If there was a missing kmod then the driver would not load during boot and there would not be an issue with the x server locking.

Sorry for the lacking details. I am running latest kernel in fedora 9. I installed the driver from NVIDIAs website, also tried livna driver before kernel update, when kmod matching the kernel was available through livna. Same issue. I am running a Dell XPS M1730 with Geforce 8800m SLI on a X86_64 architecture.