Re: F8(1) vs multimedia production(0)

On Thu, 2008-08-14 at 12:03 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Thursday 14 August 2008, Craig White wrote:
> >On Thu, 2008-08-14 at 05:24 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >> On Wednesday 13 August 2008, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> >> [...]
> >>
> >> Someone said livna was up to kino-1.3.0, but all I can see is 1.2.0, and
> >> it insults our intelligence by needing that worthless POS pulseaudio.
> >>
> >> Put me on a list so you can let me know when pulseaudio works.  Or if it
> >> now works in some private lab setting, how to make it work on an F8 x86
> >> system. I nuked that with extreme prejudice when I installed F8, and
> >> haven't had a lick of trouble with my audio since.  AFAIC its just another
> >> aggravation foisted off on us to remind us this is a "bleeding edge"
> >> distro and that we should not ever expect it to "just work".
> >
> >----
> >I think that you completely misunderstand the point of pulseaudio but
> >that is your prerogative but it's unfair for you to spread the FUD
> >
> >I'm sure it will come as a shock to you to find that pulseaudio is also
> >included in Ubuntu.
>
> I'm aware of that, also aware that they did like we did, nuked it so they can
> have sound more complex than the pc's beeper.
>
> When I last installed from the December respin, it still did not work, and
> that was what, the 2nd or 3rd respin?  Seems to me if it was going to work,
> it should have worked for >90% of the people by then.
>
> Bare in mind I have two sound systems in this machine, I use the motherboards
> AC97 chipset for skype and friends, and an Audigy 2 (the good one) for
> everything else.  If pulseaudio cannot be respectful of the settings in
> my /etc/modprobe.conf that achieve that, then it is of no use to me.
>
> >From an lspci:
> 00:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 AC97 Audio
> Controler (MCP) (rev a1)
> 01:07.0 Multimedia video controller: Conexant CX23880/1/2/3 PCI Video and
> Audio Decoder (rev 05)
> 01:07.2 Multimedia controller: Conexant CX23880/1/2/3 PCI Video and Audio
> Decoder [MPEG Port] (rev 05)
> 01:08.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB0400 Audigy2 Value
>
> All of which I expect to work, and which do so now with as much pulseaudio
> removed as can be without nuking the whole system.
>
> If however, it is now working for others, please share with me what it took to
> make it work, preferably for everyone.  Or better yet cuz the list will be
> quieter, point me to a how to URL.
----
pulseaudio is userland and since you run GUI as root, it's meaningless
to you anyway...that's what I meant by stating that you don't understand
it's use/purpose. Of course it's only going to get in your way as does
all other userland conveniences since you always have the power of
superuser and have access to all devices.

Since you use GUI as root and have little reason to adapt to userland
conveniences, your utterance of disdain for pulseaudio can only be FUD

Craig