Re: F8(1) vs multimedia production(0)

> Greetings;
>
> Why is it that every decent multimedia production tool
> always requires stuff
> to build its tarball that is not part of the fedora
> repositories?
>
> I have now failed for the second time to build a video
> editing application
> that is compatible with the camera I have, and the
> multimedia build tools
> available for fedora.  Most recently, kino, which FWIW I
> had running
> flawlessly on FC2.
>
> 2 weeks ago I gave up building OpenMovieEditor for the same
> reason, its
> dependencies simply cannot be satisfied on an F8 system.
>
> Here is the exit stanza for a 'make' in the kino
> src tree, most recent
> release:
>
> In file included from dvtitler.cc:32:
> ../frame.h:51:35: error: libavcodec/avcodec.h: No such file
> or directory
> ../frame.h:52:37: error: libavformat/avformat.h: No such
> file or directory
> ../frame.h:54:35: error: libswscale/swscale.h: No such file
> or directory
> ../frame.h:111: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of
> ‘AVCodecContext’ with no
> type
> ../frame.h:111: error: expected ‘;’ before ‘*’
> token
> make[3]: *** [dvtitler.lo] Error 1
> make[3]: Leaving directory
> `/usr/src/kino-1.3.1/src/dvtitler'
> make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kino-1.3.1/src'
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kino-1.3.1'
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> Those files are similar to the failure of OpenMovieEditor,
> which if I could
> build, I might be able to use, but I still need kino to
> manage the video
> importation from my camera, which has a firewire port and
> handles video in
> real time, something that I don't believe
> OpenMovieEditor can manage.
>
> I've been with redhat/fedora for a bit over 10 years
> now for my main machine.
> When F8 support ends, I think that will be grounds for a
> divorce.  I'm tired
> of the "keep the good stuff on the other side of the
> pond for legal reasons"
> BS that is endlessly repeated from Research Triangle Park.
> Why the hell
> should we be 2nd class citizens?
>
> --
> Cheers, Gene
> "There are four boxes to be used in defense of
> liberty:
>  soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that
> order."
> -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
> The difference between a career and a job is about 20 hours
> a week.
>
> --

This is the same stuff/error that kills vlc from building when compiling from source.  It asked for ffmpeg, I got that and installed it, it then complains about ffmeg-devel and I get it and install it and it still complains about not having it.   I know I can get vlc from livna and I have done that, but I wanted to build it from source so I can easily update, but it does not work :(

Try to install it via yum.  Enable livna or freshrpms and install it from there.  I guess it might be the best way?

Regards,

Antonio