Re: Stripes on screen after installing Fedora

Hi.

To install the NVIDIA driver there are 2 ways: easy and hard.

The easy (and recommended) is to use the livna repository[1].

First you have to install the rpm from the repository:
# rpm -ivh http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-9.rpm
or download the rpm, and the install it.

Then search for the driver:
# yum search nvidia
Install the package.

Update the system: yum update

Or the hard way.
I think you'll need the kernel sources.

As root, disable the X11: in a terminal, type: init 3. Go where you put the driver and type
sh NVIDIA...

reboot the system.

Hope this helps

Marcelo

[1] http://rpm.livna.org/rlowiki/

Bjørn Ivar Johnsen wrote:
I really feel stupid now, but I just realized that I have to download a driver to nvidia card specially for Linux!!!

That certainly bring some light to my problems:)

The only thing now is that I am not sure how to install that driver.. Should I start the text interface and install the driver from there? If so, how? I read on the nvidia page some command "sh NVIDIA-Linux-86-173.14.12-pkg1.run"... The only problem is that they was so sure about me knowing WHERE to write that, that did not bother to mention that!

P.s.( After installing the nvidia linux driver, will my windows nvidia driver still work? I suppose it do, but just to be sure...)

2008/8/9 Marcelo M. Garcia <marcelo.maia.garcia@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:marcelo.maia.garcia@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>

    Hi

    A quick test: after the boot, when you are looking at the stripes,
    press      "ctrl"+"alt"+F1, and you should see the login prompt. And
    return to the stripes, press, "ctrl"+"alt"+F7.

    You said that you driver is 175.19, but seems that the latest driver
    in NVIDIA page is 173.14[1].

    Did you updated your system including the driver from Livna?

    Are you sure about the configuration of the monitor?

    Regards

    Marcelo

    [1] http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html

    Bjørn Ivar Johnsen wrote:

        Nvidia GeForce 6800 GS with current installed driver : 175.19

        And about the graphical mode and level 3 or 5.. I really do not
        know what that is or how to do it. I am as new to Linux as they
        come!!:(

        Could it have something to do with the refresh rate of the screen?
        It is currently set to 75 Hertz, (that is the highest possible
        on my screen)... no, that is probably not it, but at this
        momement I really do not know what to do!!!

        Hope for further help:)

        Kind regards:
        Bjørn Ivar Johnsen

        Den 9. aug.. 2008 kl. 11.10 skrev "Marcelo M. Garcia"
        <marcelo.maia.garcia@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        <mailto:marcelo.maia.garcia@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>:

            Hi

            What is you graphics card, I mean, the model.

            You get stripes only in graphical mode (run level 5) or even
            in text mode (run level 3)?

            Regards

            Marcelo

            Bjørn Ivar Johnsen wrote:

                Hello.
                I have a serious problem with (all) Linux distributions
                included Fedora. After installing or use of live dvd, I
                cannot see anything but stripes on my screen. I have a
                pentium 4 with 1GB RAM and Nvidia card. I have tried to
                install the latest Nvidia driver, but to no help at all.
                I have tried many versions of Linux, and also both the
                i386 and the one for 64, but all with the same result!!!
                If anyone could help me with this problem, I would be
                wery pleased as I would wery much like to go from crappy
                winows xp to Linux!
                Vennlig hilsen
                Bjørn Ivar Johnsen

-- fedora-list mailing list