Re: For anyone experienced with the IETF and RFCs ??

On Sat, 2008-08-09 at 12:39 -0400, William Case wrote:
> Hi;
>
> Just a quick process question.  I have been digging into various RFCs
> (RFC1918, RFC1700, RF3513 etc.) issued by committees of the IETF.  They
> are very good and surprisingly clear explanations of how network
> addressing is to be used.
>
> My question is this: These memos are entitled Requests for Comments and
> each have received several detailed and learned comments, yet, the RFC
> seems to become adopted as written with the comments only attached but
> not adopted.  I am I misreading the actual RFC process?

No, there's a process of creating and approving draft versions
(described in an RFC of course :-) before the RFC Editor decides to
release the definitive version, but even this is still called an RFC,
not a Standards Document or anything fancy, although some key RFCs are
described as being "Standards Track". Comments to an RFC may eventually
serve to generate a new RFC which supersedes it, e.g. RFC2822 obsoletes
RFC822.

See http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcfaq.html

poc