Re: Hardware trouble? Me? Or ...??

On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 19:14:36 +0000, g wrote:

>>         It hung up, early in the reboot sequence -- just starting
>> to shut down, in fact, iirc. Reset button did nothing; power button did
>> nothing; I pulled the plug, and walked away.
>
> never just pull a power cord, unless that is only way to remove power.
> if it is, pull *fast* by _plug_, _never_by_cord.

	I thought I had implied that it was indeed the only way, or the
only way I knew; what else is there, when neither the power switch nor
the reset button do anything, but to cut the power?

	No power cord I've ever seen could be pulled fast from anything I
ever plugged it into -- not by my hands, nor by anyone else's I know. You
must be fantastically strong.

	Would it be better to turn the UPS off?? The monitor, and another
computer, are plugged into that same UPS.

> you need to pull fast to cut down arcing that is caused between plug and
> receptacle. arcing causes a current rush which can be very harmful, and
> damage a power supply.
	[...]

	The young friend was here yesterday evening, and concluded
immediately that the power supply was dead. Maybe it did arc somewhere;
odd that that hasn't happened before. I've been pulling power cords, in
such circumstances, for donkey's years -- as fast as I could, to be sure,
but that's far from fast.

	The dead power supply is a type we can't get around here. But the
friend who built that computer is in process of building another, to
replace my wife's present antique, using an identical case; I've emailed
him to ask for a second power supply when he ships it, and the young
friend here will be able to get it in for me.

	When I say I don't speak hardware, I do so because that's the
strongest way I know to put the fact: even before there was any question
of trifocal fingers and arthritic eyeballs, what I know of computer
hardware would go in a gnat's eye, and never discommode the gnat.

Fedora 8 & 9; Alpine 1.10, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;
Dillo 0.8.6, Galeon 2.0.3, Epiphany 2.20, Opera 9.27, Firefox 2.0