Suggestions to change default background on F9

I've recently done updates on my Archlinux install, which have upgraded KDE
from 3.5 to 4.1. the background is awfull, and is black with some sort of
midnight blue spiral galaxy sort of thing near the top. Text is white on a
black background, and my eyes have problems with this. I messed around with
right clicking on the desktop, and adding a wallpaper, which was worse. There
appears to be no way of changing the background now. I then went to "system
settings", and colours, then tried to change the colour, and it least in
Archlinux for one of my user names, I now have a totally black screen, and
with difficulty can just about see the mouse pointer. Left click, right
click, any old click, but no menus, no panel, no nothing.

I don't want to mess this up on my F9 install, so is there anyway to change
the background to what I consider to be the normal one I see on Fedora
installs (a mid blue one), and with a white panel with black text. This is
with KDE of course.

Apologies to not wanting to be on the cutting edge of the latest and greatest
graphics experience, but my eyes don't work well with white text on a black
background.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Nigel.