Re: install woes, SUCCESS! and a bit about GRUB added

On 30-Jul-08 17:56:25 Nigel Henry wrote:
>On Wednesday 30 July 2008 17:59, whoosh wrote:

>> >I'd try the acpi=off, but I didn't need any boot options, as far as I
>>
>> remember
>>

>> I tried that just now and the test media screen now responds!
>>
>> vmlinuz initrd=initrd.img text acpi=off

>Ok, it's booting ok now, and hopefully will install with no problems. Bear in

>mind that you will probably still have to append the kernel line
>in /boot/grub/menu.lst, with acpi=off, as otherwise, a post-install reboot
>will probably result in a lockup again.

>Also, when you have a kernel update, you will also have to append the kernel
>line for the new kernel, in /boot/grub/menu.lst with acpi=off. A bit of a
>nuisance I know, and all part of the fun in working with Linux, but will
>avoid a lockup with the new kernel, and keep your mind on the ball (possibly
>reducing altzheimer problems, myself included).

>A bit OT, and don't know if you still have FC3 installed, along with MS
>Windows. If so, and you have FC3's Grub in the MBR, thus allowing you to boot

>both, and want to keep FC3, I'd install Fedora 9, and put Grub in the /
>partition of Fedora 9. Write down the partition number for the root partition

>where Grub is installed, then reboot into FC3. Yes, that's FC3 (presuming
>that FC3's Grub is in the MBR, and you're not using the Windows bootloader to

>boot FC3). su to root on the CLI, and open kwrite, gedit, or whatever, and
>navigate to /boot/grub/grub.conf (may be /boot/grub/menu.lst depending on the

>distro). Now add a chainloader entry to point to the / partition where you
>have Fedora 9's Grub. This is set out the same as the one which is
>automatically set up if you also have Windows on the machine. Only the
>partition reference is different, and obviously the title.

I need to study this further,

attempts to install FreeBSD wrecked the multiboot setup as the FreeBSD
bootloader only allows FreeBSD, it lists other OS's but doesnt boot them!

after installing Fedora 9, I couldnt boot Fedora 9 from the second drive.

I then "upgraded" Fedora 9 to boot from the first drive.

I now can boot Fedora 9 or XP, but cannot access Fedora 3.

thus I need the info you have given to access Fedora 3 again.

its on the first partition of the second IDE drive.

Fedora 9 is on the 4th partition of the second IDE drive,

and XP is on the first partition of the first IDE drive.

ie

first IDE drive: XP ; other ; other

second IDE drive: FC3 ; other(logical drives) ; other ; FC9

and the first drive has Grub to get to either XP or FC9

I need to somehow get FC3 bootable again,

originally with FC3 I had grub on the second drive to boot FC3.

if I wanted to boot to FC3 I would via the BIOS make the second

drive higher priority. To boot XP I would have the first drive

as higher priority.

But FreeBSD wrecked that scheme, after removing FreeBSD its bootloader
remained!

Now I have XP and Fedora 9 but Fedora 3 not accessible.

I think I will try to get Fedora 9 fully booted and then look at

getting Fedora 3 bootable as I have a lot of useful 32 bit material on

the Fedora 3 setup.

>I think that I'm getting a bit carried away here, as you probably are very
>familiar with working with Grub. Anyway, I don't get many opportunities to
>answer questions with good results. Usually it's only sound related stuff, so

>please humor me.

>So here goes. The printout below is what I have in Fedora
>8's /boot/grub/grub.conf on the new machine with the Asus M2N-X Plus mobo.

>#boot=/dev/sda
>default=0
>timeout=30
>splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
>#hiddenmenu
>title Fedora (2.6.25.4-10.fc8)
> root (hd0,0)
> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.25.4-10.fc8 ro root=LABEL=/1 noapic nolapic
> initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.25.4-10.fc8.img
>title Fedora (2.6.23.1-42.fc8)
> root (hd0,0)
> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.23.1-42.fc8 ro root=LABEL=/1 noapic nolapic
> initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.23.1-42.fc8.img
>title Other
> rootnoverify (hd1,0)
> chainloader +1
>title Kubuntu Breezy
> rootnoverify (hd0,4)
> chainloader +1

>title Archlinux Don't Panic
>        rootnoverify (hd0,6)
>        chainloader +1

>title Gutsy Gibbon
>        rootnoverify (hd0,8)
>        chainloader +1

>title Debian Etch
>        rootnoverify (hd0,10)
>        chainloader +1

>The title: "Other", is what you normally see if Grub has detected a Windows
>install on the machine, when you have installed Grub in the MBR. In my case,
>this is simply a second sata drive on the machine, that has at present 2
>FAT32 partitions on it, where I can save data, and which is easily accessable

>by all Linux distros installed on the machine. Grub is always making this
>mistake, but you know if you actually have a Windows install on your machine
>or not.

>Identification of partitions by Grub is a bit different. hda, or sda (in the
>case of sata drives), Grub identifies as (hd0) , and that includes the
>brackets. So we get hda1, or sda1, and Grub says (hd0,0). hdb, sdb, are seen
>by Grub as (hd1). You no doubt see how this works.

>I'll shut up here, because I'm sure you see the way to set up chainloaders
>from the printout from my new machine above.

>Apologies for the ramble, as you no doubt know this stuff.

with the specific problem above where I can access F9 and XP

but cannot access FC3 what are the steps to getting FC3 on the Grub list?