KDE backgrounds and quick launcher

Just installed FC9 and have a couple, hopefully quick questions.

1. I have some backgrounds I would like to use with KDE, when I select
them from within the Configure desktop window they never show up.  I
can browse to the file, select it but I can not set it to the
background ... very strange.   Plus I have dual displays and would
like the wallpaper to span both monitors, this options seems to be
missing.

2.  I would like a quick launch bar on the task bar, I had it in FC8.
I am having hard time finding the same setting in FC9.

--
Jamie Bohr