Re: F8 - Error in xine installation failure - Resolved!

Barry wrote:
Michael Schwendt wrote:
On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 08:16:08 -0700, Barry wrote:

Michael Schwendt wrote:
On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 21:50:07 -0700, Barry wrote:

At the end of Xine installation got messages below;

Transaction Check Error:
file /usr/share/locale/cs/LC_MESSAGES/libxine1.mo from install of xine-lib-1.1.12-2.fc8 conflicts with file from package xine-lib-1.1.8-4.fc8
Error Summary

As a result the Xine installation failed.
x86_64, right?

Even if you answer "no", it smells a lot like you have multiple
versions of xine-lib installed.

Run "yum -y install yum-utils" if you haven't got them already.

Then run "yum-complete-transaction ; package-cleanup --cleandupes"
as superuser.

I install yum-utils and then run ;
yum-complete-transaction ; package-cleanup --cleandupes
No unfinished transactions left.
Setting up yum
No dupes to clean

Then please show the complete Yum output of your xine installation
attempt. Preferably do it after making sure that you've got the latest yum
for F8 (yum -y update yum). Plus, post the output of: rpm -qa xine\*

xine-lib-1.1.12-2.fc8 is latest for both x86_64 and i386. It doesn't
become clear at all why an older xine-lib-1.1.8-4.fc8 at your end is
simply not updated. Unless e.g. your Yum somehow wants to update only one
of two installed xine-lib packages.

I wiped out F9 and fresh installed F8 again with Livna enabled, but yum installation for mplayer, xine, vlc all failed deal to lib conflicts.

The crystal ball here is failing to see what "lib conflicts" you refer to.
You've managed to post a long story, but without the important details.

The F9 can yum install xine and mplayer.

There's a different between F9 x86_64 and F8 x86_64 with regard to
whether x86 packages are installed by default. F9 no longer installs
both unless something is required or asked for. Many x86_64 users
with F8 or older modify their yum.conf to exclude i?86 packages, too.

The problem is yum! After as updated yum with "yum -y update yum" as you suggested, and the I did the yum install xine, this time everything worked out fine. I could never imagine that yum can be the cause of rpm installation failure! I learned one more linux thing in a hard way. Thanks Mike.

I forgot that the output that you needed but this is done after updated yum ;
rpm -qa xine\*
xine-lib-1.1.12-2.fc8
xine-lib-1.1.12-2.fc8
xine-lib-moles-1.1.12-1.fc8