Re: that old GNU/Linux argument

Alexandre Oliva wrote:

I credit (blame?) RedHat for the bulk of the early work on Linux,

The timing doesn't look right.  Back then I was running GNU stuff
still mostly on SunOS 4.3 and Solaris 2, but I remember some
colleagues at the uni who got into the GNU/Linux bandwagon earlier
than myself and who carried around huge stacks of floppies, and I'm
pretty sure Red Hat wasn't even in the map back then.  It was probably
Slackware or Yggdrasil.

Yes, Slackware had something that a dedicated hacker with nothing else to do for weeks could manage to install. But that's not what made anything happen. It took sheer numbers.

That was probably Summer 1993/94 (Southern
hemisphere, so that's 1993 EOY).  Red Hat started around that
time-frame, and Red Hat [GNU/]Linux 1.0 came up only in late 1994.

And RH versions up to about 4.0 were in about the same shape. Not an improvement over the *bsd's of their time. Not even close to a match to commercial unix versions.

You're probably right that Red Hat gave GNU/Linux some polish that
even enthusiasts needed, but it started 3 years into Linux's history
and 11 years into GNU's history, so I don't think we're talking about
the same kind of early.

Age isn't the point - that old stuff was unusable. Nothing much came out of those 11 GNU years but an editor, a fairly buggy compiler, and some lukewarm copies of simple Unix utilities that might have ended up with a user base in the hundreds (there wasn't much networking in those days if you weren't a university with a defense contract). Say 1% of the users can improve it and you'd have had a few people actually changing things. By RH 4.0, you didn't have to spend a week stuffing floppies, you could just boot a CD and drop it in. And it was getting close to looking/working like commercial unix versions. That ease of install dropped more horribly broken code in front of many orders of magnitude more users than anything ever had before (with access to source anyway), and even with the same tiny percentage able to fix it, at that point it was enough, and even the long-standing bugs in things like BIND and sendmail began to be found and fixed.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx