Re: Compiling -- gcc -- Lex & Yacc

Hi Rick and Kevin;

On Tue, 2008-07-22 at 10:56 -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:
> William Case wrote:
> > Hi;
> >
> > I am working my way through the compiling process.  I want to be precise
> > about my question so that responders do not waste time on answering the
> > wrong question.

> cpp, was CREATED using lex and yacc (or more correctly, their Gnu
> replacements flex and bison), but it doesn't use them itself.  cpp
> expects C or C++ source, with appropriate escapes to put in in-line
> assembly code.  It does eventually call the assembler ("as") and the
> linker ("ld").  Your makefile may also send the code to the librarian
> ("ar") to create libraries.

You and Kevin have corrected some of the terminology and mis-perceptions
about what process is doing what.  I thank you for that.  But it still
begs the question.  How do you know that?

Is it simply randomly acquired knowledge or is there some source you or
I can go to and see what is being done?  An in depth explanation of each
process I can and have googled for or read about.  It is the source of
the kind of gcc/compiler information that you report, I seem to be
unable to locate.

Again as I said, I can locate *lots* of generalized information about
compiling but info that is particular to my system seems unlocateable.

For example, the gnu site offers me the same 'info gcc' document that I
already have -- but nothing additional.

Another way of saying it.

You seem to say that cpp which I have read as the preprocessing process
in a C compiler has been expanded to include code that does lexicon and
parsing analysis for gcc.

"cpp, was CREATED using lex and yacc (or more correctly, their Gnu
replacements flex and bison), but it doesn't use them itself.  cpp
expects C or C++ source, with appropriate escapes to put in in-line
assembly code."

If so where is an official site that says so and that perhaps links to a
fuller description of what this expanded cpp does?  If I don't have the
above quite right I will get it sorted out eventually.  It is the source
of your compiler knowledge I am trying to find.

Perhaps there is no such site, which would strike me as odd because the
gcc compiler is so important to making the C code my system uses,
usable.

Mystified.

--
Regards Bill;