Re: Compiling -- gcc -- Lex & Yacc

William Case wrote:
Hi;

I am working my way through the compiling process.  I want to be precise
about my question so that responders do not waste time on answering the
wrong question.

Where can I find/see which preprocessor, lexical analysiser, parser etc.
the gcc compliler is using in Fedora?  What order are they being used in
and any other instructions or agruments that are being passed to them by
gcc (the compiler) besides the original/modified code?

I have gone through 'info gcc' but that does not seem to lead to the
answer of my specific question.  I have read as much as I could
regarding 'make'.  That didn't seem to have an answer either.  Maybe I
missed it!

I know the answers, from reading patches and pieces (cpp, lex and Yacc
-- I think).  But seeing is believing.  Somewhere (which I can't seem to
find) there must be a declaration, or official text or manual that says
for sure that I have a certain version of gcc that definetly calls on
these specific programs.

All the reading I have which explains adequately what each program does
only has a generalized definition (eg. first a preprocessor is used,
then some lexical analysiser, followed by a parser etc.).  I also have
manuals on cpp and lex and yacc.  But the two, gcc and the component
program are never connected.   I want to look somewhere, preferably on
my system that says your system uses such and such.
It would be nice if there was a nice little script that said:

make /myprogram | cpp | lex | yacc | ld | asm > myexcprogam.

I know it doesn't exist, so how would I fill in the information myself?

Where can/do I look?

cpp, was CREATED using lex and yacc (or more correctly, their Gnu
replacements flex and bison), but it doesn't use them itself.  cpp
expects C or C++ source, with appropriate escapes to put in in-line
assembly code.  It does eventually call the assembler ("as") and the
linker ("ld").  Your makefile may also send the code to the librarian
("ar") to create libraries.