Re: that old GNU/Linux argument

On Jul 22, 2008, Antonio Olivares <olivares14031@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Go check what he releases as linux-2.6.26.tar.bz2

> He does not do all the work by himself,

I didn't even imply he did.  I wrote "releases", not "codes".  He has
the final call on what goes into what he releases, by himself, under
the name linux, no matter how many others write code and help him
select patches.

> He was the original creator and yes he supervises the work, but he
> is not the sole developer!  Other people here deserve some credit as
> well.

No doubt about it.  I'd think most of the people involved in the
development of the kernel Linux already feel credited for having Linux
in the name, after all, that's the project they're working for.

That's very much like people working and contributing to GNU software
feeling credited when GNU is given credited, or feeling left out when
GNU is denied the due credit.

> http://www.adequacy.org/stories/2002.1.6.154423.1887.html
> http://www.adequacy.org/stories/2001.12.29.95736.251.html
> http://www.adequacy.org/stories/2001.9.27.16143.1935.html

> They are a bit old, but I hope that users here can read them if you
> have a chance.  Interesting reads.

Yeah.  The author seems to really know the topics, and twists it in
just the right amount to make it hilarious.  Of course some unwarned
person might take the wrong parts of it as truth, especially where the
author feeds on myths out there.  But worth a read nevertheless.
Thanks, to you and to the author, for these laughs.