Re: Fedora 9 and VMWare Server

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 12:36 AM, Claude Jones <cjones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun July 20 2008, Alex Katebi wrote:
> http://open-vm-tools.sourceforge.net/
>
> Install the vmware tools first. Then go to the above web site and download
> & install the open-vm-tools. Let me know if you have any peoblems. I have
> installed two Fedora 9 vmware tools this way. Forget the any any stuff you
> don't need that.

I found that website, but, it wasn't so self-evident. How does one 'install
the vmware tools first' as you state? I normally open a vm after I've got
vmware server running, and it boots up and gives me a message about needing to
install or update vmware tools, and that's when I install vmware tools. How
are you doing that first - or better, I should ask, what do you mean by first?
First before what? Before installing the vmware package?

Before booting your guest Fedora make sure that your vmware cd drive is not pointing to an iso image. After booting install the vmeare tools as you said. Then untar & unzip the vmeare tools.

Are you simply installing the open-vm-tools from the tarball?
yes

What advantage are you gaining by doing things that way? My vm's run just fine
the way I'm doing it now - what improvement should I expect by learning the
method you suggest?

I thought that you were encountering errors by running the vmware tools alone.
I was trying to help you to install vmware tools without errors.

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA