Re: What is the point of the NM keyring?

On Mon, 2008-07-21 at 13:47 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> But I still find NM's request for a password very annoying.
> WiFi is my link to the Real World, and I just want it to start up
> when I log in.
>
> Actually I have Fedora set up to log me in automatically without
> password.

That may be your problem.  Logically speaking, there should be at least
one password to protect it.  Whether that be you logging into your
desktop, or you typing in the keyring password after an auto-login.

I have seen others write about getting their system so they didn't have
to type in a keyring password, but I don't recall whether any of them
had a password-less desktop log-in, as well.

> I do not suffer from the paranoia that seems endemic among IT gurus.

No house guests?  No smart-alec friends who'll set your desktop
wallpaper to show naked hairy guys?  Heck, even I'd be tempted to prank
some friends, if I could find a funny picture that I wouldn't get a
punch in the face for it.  And I did pay out Mum with various animal
noise sound effects on her Windows PC.

I actually had to undo the hairy guy example on someone's Windows PC, a
few years back.  Every time he booted, these two guys flashed up for a
moment, then disappeared to be replaced by *his* choice of wallpaper.

He didn't know about the difference between active desktop wallpaper,
and wallpaper without active desktop.  He couldn't work out how to
remove the unwanted picture, he thought choosing his own picture would
fix it.  But one goes on top of the other, his choice was applied to the
active desktop, which starts a few moments later, on top of the plain
desktop.

Naturally, seeing as I had an audience of two more people, and several
reboots would be needed to sort out his system, I left that little gem
as the last thing to repair.

Methinks he'll be very careful about right-click save-as-wallpaper in
his web browser in the future.  ;-)

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.10-86.fc9.i686