Re: Why is Fedora not a Free GNU/Linux distributions?

onsdagen den 16 juli 2008 skrev Gordon Messmer:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
> > But it is equally ridiculous either way, when 80+% is neither GNU nor
> > Linux code.  Calling it an xwindow system would make more sense.  Or
> > perhaps a firefox/thunderbird/openoffice.org system - with most of the
> > other parts interchangeable.
>
> If you're talking about a distribution, then I suppose it's fine.  When
> you refer to the *operating system*, though, that's a different story.
> GNU/Linux is an operating system.  It implements a defined operating
> system interface.  Linux, by itself, is not an operating system.

I'd like to hear your definition of "operating system". Linus Torvalds calls
Linux an operating system. He appears to use Andrew Tanenbaum's definition,
where "operating system" is pretty much synonymous to "kernel". Other people
have other opinions on what an operating system is.

Björn Persson