Re: Program to compress AVI files

Paul Smith wrote:
On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 8:39 PM, Mark Haney <mhaney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Thanks to both. I am talking about encoding to a smaller file size. Any
ideas?
mencoder would be a good program.

I would suggest first playing it with mplayer and seeing what the current
encoding is, if it is already xvid/divx/x264 encoded you won't
I've found mencoder not to be quite as functional as transcode for certain
applications.  However, I do agree with Roger, you need to find out the
existing codec/aspect ratio before tinkering with the file. Instead of using
mplayer, I'd try just using 'file <videoname>', that gives you a good amount
of info on the file (just in case the file is on a remote system as mine are
sometimes).

I do have a couple of standard lines for adjusting video files that I'll be
glad to share if you want.  They aren't anything more than typical
transcode/mencoder lines with basic options that I"ve saved since I can't
always remember the options.

Thanks to all for all helpful comments.

The details of my file are:

$ file example.avi
example.avi: RIFF (little-endian) data, AVI, 1024 x 768, 30.00 fps,
video: uncompressed
$

Paul

mencoder -ovc xvid -oac mp3lame -vf scale=320:240 -xvidencopts fixed_quant=4 -o output.avi input.avi

This is a basic syntax for mencoder that will encode with the Xvid codec and scale it down to 320x240. Adjust to taste and give it a shot. (I was supposed to include this in my other reply and sent before I copied the line in, my bad)

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support