Re: Closed source modules will be banned from kernel?

On Thu, 2008-07-10 at 13:25 -0400, max wrote:
> > Is this a case of incorrect attributions in your reader, or are you
> > really asking me this question and if so, what's prompted that?
> >
> You wrote in response to Anne's question/statement/comment:
> > It's not actually considered OK, Anne, it's just human nature at work
> > and continuing evidence of the decline of society. People often lose
> > their decorum when there is no immediate need to display it, which is a
> > direct result of people adopting specific behavior NOT because it is
> > correct or acceptable, but because they are wary or in fear of the
> > consequences if they do not. And THAT mindset is the direct result of
> > society's choice to attempt to legislate morality rather than live it or
> > breath it, or teach it by example.
>
> There is evidence of intelligence in your response.

:-)

I just wrote a page and a half of quippy bits spinning off that line,
that I'm filing away for some future use, thank you.

Oh, wait, that might be open for misinterpretation, sorry. Nothing
derogatory or anything like that. No insults, taken or offered.

I just sometimes have odd creative bursts that can be set off with
absolutely minimal input. I once wrote a 60 minute sitcom pilot and
outlined the first 12 half-hour episodes based on a two word non
sequitur that I overheard at a supermarket.

> I could go for a
> while on the legislation of morality and why its wrong but this is a
> technical list or it tries to be :^) Intelligent people *usually* have a
> book recommendation or two, depending on the subject, if your like me
> then you read enough that you probably can't decisively say which is
> your favorite or the best.

Exactly. Different books for different people, dependant upon
circumstance and context. I can't pick a favorite book; can rarely pick
a favorite from a particular genre.

> So what was the last good book,
> technical,non-technical, fiction, non-fiction, doesn't matter, that you
> enjoyed reading?

It was written by a journalist named Wulfing von Rohr. German title is
"Was lehrte Jesus Wirklich?"
and has the impossible sub-title of "Wie man auch heute noch über Jesus
mit Gott in Verbindung treten kann / Die verborgene Botschaft der
Bibel". I don't think the book has ever appeared in English. A rough
translation of the title would be,
"What did Jesus really teach? How even today you can connect directly to
God through Jesus / The hidden message of the Bible".

Mouthful, that.

> You can name as many as you like, I am always
> interested in good books. Of course if you don't read that doesn't
> necessarily say anything about your intelligence level but I'd be very
> surprised if you didn't have a recommendation or two.

Oh, I could offer a few ;-)
Where do you want to go today?
<ducking>

It's hard to just toss a quick compendium out there, though, not knowing
who you are, where you've been, what your current direction is, or where
your interests might be.

I'm into electric blues guitar, theology, alternative medicine and much
of the esoteric, as well as being a quiet observer of my fellow man and
his often glaring failings. Other interests, of course, but that's a big
block of me.

I'm going to think about a short list, and get back to you, if I may. I
have a 15 Km bicycle ride in a thunderstorm to make, and need to leave a
bit early today.

> Or I could just have said:
>
> I don't know you Andy but I like you already.
>
> Max

I thank you, sir.

A lovely weekend to you, and to whomever else might read this of course.

Andy