Re: Thunderbird and junkmail

Ian Chapman wrote:
Richard England wrote:

Does anybody have any idea why I can't get thunderbird to automatically move junk mail that ...
OS version?

Fedora 9

Thunderbird version?

2.0.0.14

Settings you have in place (filters)?

Yes I have filters in place but only for one account which sorts out the various mailing lists into sub folders, however all email accounts are affected the same way. According to the manual, junk mail filtering is done after the normal message filtering. The spam is being left in the inbox albeit marked as such and marked as read. Just for some reason thunderbird won't move it to the junk folder automatically.

I'm not an expert and I'm still running F8 but I AM using TBird 2.0.0.14.

There are two locations that you can set for junk mail. The first is via Edit > Preferences and the "Junk" tab. Here you can set the default Junk mail settings. Here I have set 'When I mark messages as junk, move them to the accounts "junk" folder'. I also have "Mark messages determined to be junk as read" set.

The second applies to account specific junk mail filters which you reach by Edit > Account Settings and selecting "Junk Settings" under your email account. Here I have the following set:
- Enable adaptive junk mail controls for this account
- Do not mark mail as junk if the sender is in: "Personal Address Book"
- Trust junk mail headers set by: SpamPal
- Move new junk messages to:
   "Junk" folder on : <my account>
- Automatically delete junk mail older than 7 days.

Of course there are settings here you may wish to modify but this has been working for me for some time. I would verify that both sets of settings are as you wish them to be.

HTH, but remember, I haven't done this on F9 yet. I have yet to convert my primary workstation to F9.

~~R