Re: Wide, flat, & weird : HP w2207h with F8 & F9

Tim:
>> You can try "dmidecode" (it's a command line tool).

Beartooth:
>         Well, at least some of that is in English. I went through it,
> line by line, a couple of times. But all I could see that might be
> relevant was this :
>
>         =====           =====           =====
> Handle 0x0023, DMI type 10, 6 bytes.
> On Board Device Information
>         Type: Video
>         =====           =====           =====

Ah yes, well that sort of thing will be a problem for most automatic
tools.  They scan the hardware for identifying codes, and information
provided by the hardware.  If the manufacturer didn't fill in the data,
or stuffed it with nonsense (my BIOS is full of 1234567890 serial
codes), then you won't get far with it.

That sort of nonsense doesn't help Windows users trying to install
hardware, either.  They get some disc with half a dozen drivers for
their budget graphics/sound/network card, and they have to pick which
one to use, because the system can't do it for them.

Faced with trying to read technobabble output, you could have posted the
whole thing to the list for more help with it.  At least you can with
command line tools.

--
(This computer runs FC7, my others run FC4, FC5 & FC6, all using Gnome
 in case that's important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.