Re: Help with notebook wi-fi

John Burton wrote:
Robert O. Kahl wrote:
I'm unable to get wifi working on my Presario Laptop (H-P) Model V6719NR. Any Help would be appreciated. The system is setup with Fedora 8/KDE, dual boot with Vista The start-up error message shows:

Bringing up interface for wlan0. Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06)
SET failed on device  wlan0;     invalid argument
Determining IP info for wlan0...                [FAILED]

The boot sequence stops and then resumes after exactly 60 seconds!
The KDE Network Device Manager shows it recognizes the Atheros chipset, but I can't "Activate" it.
A dmesg dump shows:
         ath5k phy0: Atheros 2425 chip found (MAC: 0xe2, PHY: 0x70
(Incidentally, it works OK in Vista. Their Device Manager shows the chip is an Atheros AR007)

Any advice on how to correct the "invalid argument" and to proceed would be greately appreciated.

Bob Kahl

The Atheros series is only partially supported by the stock kernels - Take a look at the madwifi packages from livna repository. If you're luck your chipset will be supported. Even this doesn't support all the chipsets. I have a MacBook Pro SantaRosa, which has a Atheros chipset for wireless. I had to download the latest version of madwifi and compile the kernel module in that before I got everything to work properly...

John

Thanks, John...I'll give madwifi a try.       Bob K.