Re: Hardware browser??

Hi Beartooth;

On Mon, 2008-06-30 at 20:48 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 14:41:23 -0500, Kevin Martin wrote:
>
> > Beartooth wrote:
> 	[...]
> >> 	Curiouser and curiouser : that doesn't work here. I can highlight
> >> them and then click, double-click, or hit enter -- and that doesn't
> >> help, either. The display disappears for a few seconds in favor of the
> >> word "scanning"; but it then comes back unchanged.
>
> > Are you running the lshw-gui as root?
>
> 	Yes. Shouldn't I be? When I try it as user, it starts off with
> the little pop-up that so many things use, asking for root's password.

Yes, that is what is supposed to happen.

You should see a small window (less than 1/4 of your screen) pop up.  On
my system it has four columns; the left column says "Desktop Computer";
the next two columns are empty; the fourth (right-most) column has very
basic data about the Desktop computer.

If I double click on the left-hand "Desktop computer" in column two I
"Motherboard" and "Ethernet interface" are added.  Double clicking on
"Ethernet interface" gives me the data about the Ethernet interface in
the right-most column.

Double clicking on the "Motherboard" adds a whole list of motherboard
components to the third column.  Single clicking moves columns leftward,
double clicking adds info to the fourth column.  And so it goes ...

If it's working, play with it to see all the possible data
presentations.  If it is not working as outlined above -- you've got a
bug or some very very weird equipment.  (That doesn't seem likely from
what you have described).

The gui could use some basic column titles and the ability to widen or
narrow the columns. Practice using the little right pointing wedges to
get additional info and using the up bottom on the tool bar to undue.

--
Regards Bill;
Fedora 9, Gnome 2.22.2