Re: emacs curiosity

On Sat, Jun 21, 2008 at 07:58:11PM -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On two different fedora 8 systems now, I have done a
> yum update, then the next time I started emacs, I've
> had it error off during initialization with a message
> about regular expression too big.

I've seen it too, actually since I installed fedora 8 on this machine
somewhere last month.

> If I attempt to reproduce the problem, I find emacs
> starts up perfectly OK on the next try.

Most of the time, the next attempt succeeds. About once in ten times
emacs is started, it gives an error. And on even rarer occasions, it
gives the error at some time after it has started succesfully.

Because it was so unpredictable, I never filed a bug report, but it
certainly is a bug.

> If I look in /var/log/yum.log, I don't see any updates
> that appear to be remotely related to emacs.
>
> Anyone have a clue what the heck is going on here?
> I'm just curious. Since it fixes itself, it is no
> big deal I guess :-).

Ok, to make up for forgetting to file a bug report, I did try to find
the cause of the problem. The errors still occur when emacs is started
with the -Q option to bypass .emacs and site-start.el so the error is
not in any of these customizations.
Problem occurs for any user, including root. And it doesn't seem to be
SELinux related (no alerts and no log entries).
And the problem can also happen with the emacs-nox package.

I have also installed emacs-22.1-12.fc8.x86_64 from updates-testing, but
the problem is still there (makes sence, since it wasn't reported in
bugzilla yet)

So I know a lot of things that are not the cause of this error, but I
don't know what is.

David Jansen