Re: SATA - System Freezes

Henry Ritzlmayr wrote:
Am Freitag, den 20.06.2008, 09:37 -0600 schrieb Robin Laing:
Henry Ritzlmayr wrote:
Am Donnerstag, den 19.06.2008, 09:52 -0600 schrieb Robin Laing:
Henry Ritzlmayr wrote:
Am Dienstag, den 17.06.2008, 13:25 -0400 schrieb Jorge Fábregas:
Hello Everyone,

I'm running Fedora 8 and my system freezes (for about 20 to 40 seconds) a couple of times a day. When it does I see this on /var/log/messages:

I have looked at how lmsensors works and you can make some changes to the configuration files to increase the accuracy of the reports. I have not played with it much though. It is just as easy to pull the cover and measure the voltages with a volt meter.

I will try lmsensors and see what it can do here. If this works out,
than my initial questions stands: Could such an info be included in the
kernel output. Maybe not (by design) but a question can´t hurt. We do
development within SAP here at our company, and for special cases, when
something fails, we don´t only throw a error message to the user. We try
to retrieve as much information from the underlying OS/DB as much as
possible to help for later debugging or at least being more informative
in the message we display to the user.

My point is lmsensors is only as accurate as the sensor configuration file. In my case, lmsensors didn't report a problem but when I used a digital voltmeter, my power supply was low, even after being removed from the system. lmsensors was showing a .5 volt difference.

I have two of the same brand of power supply's (only ones available in our area) with exactly the same fault. A known fault that can be fixed with the addition of three variable resistors.

Don´t get me wrong here, but this is not something I would like to see
in one of my systems here. I could imagine the first response from one
of our managers if anything fails (even if it is only a web page which
is not displayed properly) that this must be due to the newly installed
resistors ;-)

Henry

I have seen an adapter that fits into a case that gives you a selectable display that has voltages and temperatures. This may be useful if you can find it.

--
Robin Laing