Re: SATA - System Freezes

Henry Ritzlmayr wrote:
Am Donnerstag, den 19.06.2008, 09:52 -0600 schrieb Robin Laing:
Henry Ritzlmayr wrote:
Am Dienstag, den 17.06.2008, 13:25 -0400 schrieb Jorge Fábregas:
Hello Everyone,

I'm running Fedora 8 and my system freezes (for about 20 to 40 seconds) a couple of times a day. When it does I see this on /var/log/messages:

--
Robin Laing

What I didn´t like (still) is the fact that there is no indication, that
this could be even slightly related to the power supply. As stated above
it was more a try and error to solve this issue. Hopefully for the OP
this also solved his issue.
Question to the devs - could you think of any way that the kernel output
could be a bit more informing, or don´t you get enough information from
the hardware for such an issue. I also checked smart for unusual power
cycle counts but to no avail.
Henry

Henry, it would be nice but if the system, including the BIOS doesn't know that there is a problem with the power supply, then how is the hardware supposed to report it. Maybe there can be a sensor added to the harddrive to detect this type of error.

I didn't suspect a power supply problem the second time either as the power supply was fairly new (upgraded when I added more drives). The sensors showed all voltages as being normal. Even the BIOS said it was normal but under load and after the system warmed up, the power supply drifted to just under the lower recommended limit under no real load.

I have looked at how lmsensors works and you can make some changes to the configuration files to increase the accuracy of the reports. I have not played with it much though. It is just as easy to pull the cover and measure the voltages with a volt meter.

I have two of the same brand of power supply's (only ones available in our area) with exactly the same fault. A known fault that can be fixed with the addition of three variable resistors.

--
Robin Laing