Re: Weird iwl3945 wireless problem

On Sun, 2008-06-22 at 23:37 -0500, Mike Chambers wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-06-22 at 22:35 -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> > On Sun, 2008-06-22 at 18:07 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> > > Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
> > > One other thing - if I remember right, the default setup asks for
> > > the 128 bit key as ASCII, or hex. (Start with 0x for hex.) It does
> > > not want the pass phrase itself. There is a selection where you can
> > > give it the pass phrase, and it will generate the hex or ASCII key.
> > > I don't remember exactly how to access it - I am not on my laptop,
> > > and it has not had to do it for a while.
> >
> > That's not correct for NM, though it is for system-config-network and
> > friends.  In NM, there's a pulldown selector and you can choose (I
> > think--can't check right now) passphrase, ascii key or hex key.  The hex
> > key does not start with 0x.
>
> I thought when using hex key and the 0x, it was for when using like
> system-config-network or the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/key-file or
> whatever?  And using just passphrase is when using NM itself.

That's partly right.  I read Mikkel's post as claiming that the '0x'
prefix was required for NM, which is not correct.

s-c-n and friends have only one way to enter a key and no way to specify
its type, so to distinguish hex from ascii, you need the starting '0x'
character.  Otherwise ascii 'd3adb33f' and hex 'd3adb33f' would be
indistinguishable.

NM WEP has the pulldown menu to specify the key type.  So you can choose
whether the key you enter is a passphrase or a hex key.

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu