Re: texlive problems

On Tue, 2008-06-17 at 13:54 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Norman Gaywood wrote:
>
> > Several people noted that kdvi has been replaced by okular in
> > kedgraphics. That's fine, we can live with that.
>
> The standard TeX programs xdvi and xpdf seem to me
> to be just as good if not better than their replacements.
> I don't understand this passion for re-inventing the wheel.

For one thing, things look more polished if they can take on the look
and feel of the rest of the desktop.  Using the integrated printing
subsystem is nice, too.

> Incidentally, the CTAN (Comprehensive TeX Archive Network)
> at <http://www.ctan.org> has quite a good search mechanism
> for finding any TeX-related file or package.

It would be cool if there were a ctan2rpm utility like the Perl cpan2rpm
utility.  Then one wouldn't have to necessarily keep things one got from
CTAN in a separate local tree.

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences