Re: Low Wireless Speed While Using Network Manager

On Tue, 2008-06-17 at 20:59 +0530, Manish Kathuria wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 8:19 PM, Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2008-06-17 at 19:22 +0530, Manish Kathuria wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I have a Broadcom BCM94311MCG Wireless Mini PCI Card on my laptop and
> >> use the Network Manager on Fedora 9 to connect to the wireless
> >> network. I just observed that the Wireless Speed or the Bit Rate does
> >> not exceed 2 Mbps even when the laptop is close to the wireless
> >> router. The bit rate used to be much higher and even touch 54 Mbps
> >> when I had configured the interface directly without using the Network
> >> Manager. Even though the current version of Network Manager
> >> (NetworkManager-0.7.0-0.9.3.svn3623.fc9.x86_64) allows me to edit
> >> connection properties but it does not provide any setting for the Bit
> >> Rate. Is there a way out to increase the wireless connection speed
> >> while using Network Manager ?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> --
> >> Manish Kathuria
> >>
> > The same thin haqppened to me last week. I traced it to my router. Look
> > at the web interface of you wireless router is it is
> > available.Restarting the router fixed the problem.
> > --
>
> Just did that but it didn't help. The bit rate is still stuck at 2 Mbps.

man iwconfig

Try something like iwconfig wlan0 rate auto or iwconfig wlan0 rate 54G
or something along those lines.  The part your looking up the info for
is near the top, maybe one or two pages down.

You may be able to set it via networkmanager gui but not sure

--
Mike Chambers
mikec302@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx