Re: Re: tr problem

>From: Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan@xxxxxxxxx>
>Date: 2008/06/16 Mon AM 11:29:41 CDT
>To: fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: Re: tr problem

>On Mon, 2008-06-16 at 23:09 +0930, Tim wrote:
>> Anne Wilson:
>>
>> Patrick O'Callaghan:
>> > Actually, this is where the expression "cut-and-paste" originates :-)
>>
>> I always thought that term came from designing newspaper page layouts.
>
>According to Wikipedia (source of all knowledge and wisdom):
>
>        The term "cut and paste" derives from the traditional practice
>        in manuscript-editing whereby people would literally cut
>        paragraphs from a page with scissors and physically paste them
>        onto another page. This practice remained standard as late as
>        the 1960s. Stationery stores formerly sold "editing scissors"
>        with blades long enough to cut an 8-1/2"-wide page. The advent
>        of photocopiers made the practice easier and more flexible.
>
>More to the point, I remember actually doing this ...
>
>See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cut-and-paste
>
>poc
>
>--

This brings to mind another lost technology and talent, the use of the "glue machine" that applied a heated wax type "glue" to the back of a piece of paper allowing you to do a "paste up" of your manuscript.   I was in on any number of technical papers created using this technique in the 60's and 70's.

~~R