Re: "cloning" (sort of ) an installation

On Mon, 2008-06-16 at 09:13 -0700, Alan Evans wrote:
> Please excuse my inane question. I'm fairly experienced with
> administering RH/Fedora installations, but I've just never tried to do
> this before.
>
> I'm setting up a backup server which is to have substancially the same
> packages installed as the primary. I can easily enough get the list of
> installed packages on the primary with "rpm -qa", but how do I turn
> that list into something that will as automatically as possible
> download and install/upgrade packages on the secondary? Or is that
> completely wrong-headed?

On the secondary machine:

# yum -y install `cat List`

where List is generated on the primary. Then periodically do 'yum
update' on both machines.

Alternatively, if you want to save bandwidth, set up the primary machine
as a repo server and point the secondary at it for updates. This also
has the advantage of avoiding possible incompatibilities between the two
machines updating at slightly different times.

Of course if "substantially the same" doesn't mean "exactly the same",
you'll need some manual intervention.

poc