Re: bootable failed sw raid 1 with F9

Sander Hoentjen wrote:
On Sun, 2008-06-15 at 11:28 -0700, Brian Tillman wrote:
On Jun 15, 2008, at 10:51 AM, Frank Murphy wrote:

On Sun, 2008-06-15 at 19:43 +0200, Sander Hoentjen wrote:

Hi list,

For the first time in my life i tried to install Fedora with sw
raid.

See below what went wrong.

Here is what I did:

Start with 2 empty 500GB sata disks.

Make sure nvraid is turned off in my BIOS.

Start an F9 install, creating 2 sw RAID partitions: md0 and md1.

md0 is 100MB and has an ext3 /boot.

This could be the blind leading the blind,

but just raided my centos5.

and was advised not to raid the /boot.

as it can get confused as to waht to boot from.

If you need a backup boot just rsync it to the second drive as

/boot1 (or similar)

Frank

Although you haven't told us "what went wrong" (IE errors, when in the
boot process your system fails ect).

Not sure if you are referring to me or Brian, but I did try to tell when
the errors did occur:
<quote>
It starts ok, i even get rhgb for a second and then I see:
"fsck.ext3: Invalid argument while trying to open /dev/md0"
</quote>
I would highly recommend using raid on your /boot partition, this will
enable you to boot should you loose a disk

This is exactly why i did it like that.
I would imagine that you only wrote to the MBR for one of your disks,
and your bios is attempting to boot from the other. If this is the
case your bios will report "no operating system installed" or
something to that effect.

Again not sure if your reply is to me, but from my email you can read
this is not the case for me.

Regards,
Sander

As I recall I ran into the same problem, I pulled one of the RAID disks out of the system and it would no longer complete the boot up process.

Unfortunately I don't remember exactly what I did but I seem to recall the second disk in the system, although a complete raid member wasn't set as an "active" drive and as such it couldn't run as a standalone drive.

I do remember having to boot the DVD in rescue mode, dropping down to a shell (the rescue DVD wouldn't mount the partition either) and with the mdadm command I either had to assemble or just "--run" option with mdadm to start the RAID volume (as a degraded RAID array)